Sunday, August 30, 2015

Job: Our Ever-Living Redeemer

Job 19:23-27

23 Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book!

24 That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever!
25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
27 Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

In Exodus and Leviticus, we looked at Christ as our Passover Lamb and our Sacrifice. But that is not the part of the story that excites me most. That part is His resurrection on the third day, what we now call Easter Sunday! Matthew 28, Mark 16, Luke 24, and John 20 cover the story of Jesus' resurrection in great detail. But while I do love that story, today I want to look at Jesus as the first and the last, the alpha and omega, the beginning and the end.


When Job spoke verses 25 and 26, He was doing much more than just stating his faith in his Redeemer. Rather, he was speaking prophetically. Because God is still living, Job has a hope. We today have the same hope, that one day, we will live together with God in Heaven. Scripture is filled with verses from people who have faith in this hope. 

Psalms 17:15
As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness. 

I Corinthians 13:12 
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

John 14:1-4
Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

I John 3:2
Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

David, Paul, and John all say that they, and we who are Christians, will see God. Jesus Christ even promised us this. But this hope is not only that we will see God, it is that we will be like Him. When Jesus rose from the dead, He appeared to His followers in His glorified body. And one day we will have this body, a body like John described in Revelation 21:4- "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."


No comments:

Post a Comment