Saturday, September 16, 2017

Higher Ground

The story of the song "Higher Ground" is more the story of its writer, Johnson Oatman Jr. Oatman was born and raised in a devout Christian home in the mid-1800's. His father, Johnson Oatman Sr., was a towering man with a booming voice and was very much in demand as a gospel singer. As a young boy, Oatman Jr. wanted nothing more than to be just like his father. As the years went on, he became a part of the family firm- Johnson Oatman & Son. 

But something was missing from his life. 

Oatman felt God's call to be in some form of full-time ministry. After years of study, he was ordained as a Methodist minister. But he never was able to realize his two biggest passions, even through ministry. He desperately wanted to sing like his father. But he didn't have the booming voice that his father had, let alone the singing talent in general to become a much-wanted gospel singer. 

His other passion was to witness to all he came across. But in a small Methodist church, there were many restrictions on him and his time that prevented this. He became a circuit-riding preacher for years, going from church to church and across denominational lines preaching and teaching. But he was never a great preacher, even though he did still feel called to minister in some fashion. 

At the age of thirty-six, he found his calling. In 1892, Johnson Oatman Jr. began to write hymns. He wrote hymns for years, with songs like "No, Not One" and hundreds more being sung in churches around the world by 1895. For years, he continued to write, including songs like "Count Your Blessings" in 1897. He wrote over 5,000 songs in his lifetime. 

In 1898 he wrote the song that we are looking at today- Higher Ground.

V.1
I'm pressing on the upward way,/New heights I'm gaining every day/Still praying as I'm onward bound:/Lord plant my feet on higher ground

C.
Lord lift me up and let me stand/By faith on heaven's tableland./A higher plane than I have found,/Lord plant my feet on higher ground.

V.2
My heart has no desire to stay/Where doubts arise and fears dismay;/Though some may dwell where these abound,/My prayer, my aim, is higher ground.

V.3
I want to live above the world,/Though Satan’s darts at me are hurled;/For faith has caught the joyful sound,/The song of saints on higher ground.

V.4
I want to scale the utmost height/And catch a gleam of glory bright;/But still I’ll pray till heaven I’ve found,/“Lord, lead me on to higher ground.”

Oatman reached his "higher ground." He found what God had called him to do. It was not to be the next great gospel singer. It was not to be the next great preacher/soul-winner. It was to do both through the songs that he wrote. His songs have been a blessing and an inspiration to so many. This one, in particular, has blessed my life in a special way. Will you continue to pray with me to God the words of Oatman- "Lord, plant my feet on higher ground!"? 

No comments:

Post a Comment