Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Why We Do What We Do

Photo Source:
http://www.oraclemagazine.biz/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/man-comforting-a-friend-2-890x395_c.jpg














Tonight I wanted to take a break from the study that I have been doing and use this post to encourage you in whatever area of ministry you may be in.

Last week at my church’s Vacation Bible School, a little girl who in past years had always been right in the middle of everyone and having so much fun was feeling very down. About halfway through the week, I found out that her grandmother had died. On Thursday night after our Family and Friends program, she was sitting by herself on a log outside of our church. I felt God leading me to go and try to cheer her up. The next day, the final day of VBS she gave me a note with these exact words:

“Dear, Justan. Thank you for cheering me up last night. i really appreciate you being like a big brother to me. good luck on coledeg. i hope you will do good. well thank you Justan for cheering me up.”

When I read that note, I nearly started to cry. I didn’t do what I did to get recognized or anything. I did it because it was what God wanted me to do. That whole week served as a reminder to me of why we do what we do as Christians.

First, we do what we do to see the unsaved saved. During VBS last week, out of about 60 or 70 kids, 19 were saved. That’s more than 25% of the students that attended!!! Luke 19:10 says, “For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.” That’s the main reason we live for after we are saved.

Secondly, we do what we do to comfort those who are hurting. God put me in a place where I could cheer up that girl at VBS.  Paul wrote in I Corinthians 14:26, “Let all things be done unto edifying.” Edifying is just a fancy word for encouraging one another. We shouldn’t be using our words, our actions, or our influence to tear someone down, but rather to build them up!

Finally, we do what we do to give honor and glory to God.  Psalm 100 is, I believe, one of the Bible’s best praise songs unto the Lord. There, David wrote, “Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.” In fact, many of David’s psalms were songs of praise to God.

I hope this encouraged you in your walk with God today. Now go out and witness, encourage, and glorify God!!

1 comment:

  1. Encouragement is a gift you have, Justin. Glad you are using it to help others. It's also nice when someone acknowledges it like the young girl you helped. Thanks for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete